The first day they were gone, my sister hadn't arrived yet and I had to take Gwen to school in the morning (aka go to work late), take the world's longest lunch to go get her from school and then she had to sit at my office from 2:30-5:30 pm. Let's just say there isn't enough coloring, cupcakes, iPad games in the world to have made that go any smoother. So, after a quick dinner with the Englishman that evening...
My sister has FIVE kids (who are all adorable and funny and amazingballs) yes, I said FIVE... mind blowing I know... and you haven't even seen them all running different directions yet. But as the older three are all in school she only came to visit with the "babies" - her two year old Gavin, and her five year old JD.
As soon as they came in Gavin, who is extremely anti his paparazzi Aunt B hid behind his Spongebob pillow. No photos please. Despite my best efforts over the next two weeks, Gavin still remains, at best, wary of me. I adore him and constantly try and lure him into my arms with candy, treats, promises of lovies and hugs and he just always asks me to "stop. please". :(
I wonder where he gets his anti paparaziness from? My sister and I cannot possibly be related. I like nothing more than to have my picture taken and yet she uses innocent children to avoid photos!
I am not even really sure why I am blogging about Megan's trip. I can never adequately explain just how hilarious she is, or how much fun we have together, or how completely
We took wild children to get ice cream:
| Gavin still ignoring my attempts to capture his cute face with my camera |
We ate and ate. Such an odd mix of food... Megan only eats all natural, healthy, homemade, locally grown, hormone free, psychologically stable, hand massaged, lovingly raised and prepared vegetables and quinoa etc. I am kissing a pizza box below and brought home cupcakes on numerous occasions. Bipolar menu anyone?
| Bribing with cupcakes almost worked for a photo... |
| Nothing in the world is sadder than when cupcakes get hurt in transit. Nothing. |
Speaking of bribing... I felt like I was ignoring the Englishman a bit, because well, because I was. I had a shinny, new Megan toy and her babies to play with (plus, she was watching Gwen everyday for moi) and so he and I saw each other far less than usual so I could devote all of my non working hours to MEGANTIME. Seriously, I didn't even sleep when she was here. I was either at work, being a hot mess with her, or watching Downton Abbey (and begging her to snuggle me) with her. Just now noting he didn't seem to complain about the fact that I hardly saw him!! :( In any case, I bribed him one day with cupcakes and Lululemon too. I still like you, I'd just rather play with Megan right now...
Gavin continued his epic avoidance of my photo taking annoyances:
We went to Build A Bear:
Ate some more:
We shopped more in those two weeks than I think my sister or her kids have ever shopped in their whole lives. Megan even got some Lululemon!! And I bought something from Free People. See how our cultures rubbed off on each other?!?!?
| Almost caught both of you two photo avoiders in one pic! Success! Miracle! |
Megan and I both took a temporary leave of absence from our sanity and thought our crafting/hairstyling skills were far more superior than they were and decided that I should be trusted to dye our hair. Megan has wanted tye dye hair for years... way before anyone else was doing colored hair, or tye dye tips or any of that nonsense. See proof here (blog from two years ago when we tried to dye Megan's hair and [SMARTLY SO] decided we didn't know what we were doing)... we have tried and been paralyzed by lack of confidence before. This time we were not going to be deterred I wanted ombre tips and Megan wanted colored ones. I have never done hair before, nor do I even like when pros do my hair. I also can't draw, sculpt, paint etc to save my life but we somehow powered through and both MIRACULOUSLY liked the results. I should quit my day job.
| Voila. Dark brown, chocolate, caramel and then some varying shades of blonde tips. It is like I am a chemical hair voodoo magician. |
Megan's hair was a bit more scary. We couldn't just cut the tips off if we hated it (aka if I BOTCHED IT ALL UP), and it was her hair so she could be mad at someone other than herself if it was awful. She was incredibly brave though sitting in that chair watching me just randomly apply bleach to streaks around her head, and then the bottom half of her hair to "make highlights" and "prepare the bottom pieces of color". Step one of becoming a hairdresser in my world was talking like you know what you are doing. We also waited until 10 pm to start these five hour processes. Late night insanity equals confidence.
| Megan's hair after round one of random hair streak lightening and color applying on tips. |
| Megan's hair after. Totally doesn't capture how awesome it is. Mom of five, rocker of the tye dye hair. Love it. |
We also cleaned out the old shiz from my closets, and re organized everything. Without Megan sitting on the floor dying over how much stuff I have shoved in random closets, and keeping me laughing I would never have gotten through the closet overhaul. THANK YOU!
| She eliminated a whole haning rack taking up space in my room by suggesting that sweaters, work out gear, and scarves didn't need to be hung up.. merely folded and put in cubbies! Genius! |
Megan also took some pictures of Gwen and I that make us both look far more beautiful than we could ever dream of being... see them here. Add photoshop and magic to her list of amazing qualities!
Like I said... I can never fully do our time together justice. You are the best sister ever. And if you would just move here already I would eat so much healthier, laugh so much more, spend less time annoying the Englishman and have way better closets and hair! I wish I had gotten pictures of how often we looked like hot messes at church with all the wild kids, us making easter eggs in the car, talking awkwardly to everyone because we bring out the awkward in each other, trying to fix the garbage disposal, and certainly pictures of you trying to capture Justin Fluffy Bieber (Gwen's hamster) when he escaped. I did however, capture these two shots... which means, in the epic battle of wills and sneaky photography...between me and Gavin... I WON!
| Almost directly head on! And no frown! |
| Looking right at me/camera and a half smile?!?!? There is a god! |
Come back soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon Megan (and kiddos)!
No comments :
Post a Comment