Friday, November 30, 2012

It ain't over till the fat lady sings!

Yesterday was kind of a terrible, no good, horrible, very bad day as Alexander would say.

I had a lot to do, it was rainy, I am still on crutches (making everything ten times more awkward, clumsy, slow and just hot messy), I had a problem with my foot bandages and had to take three hours out of my day to drive from work to my doctor (with my left foot over my big boot, neither safe nor advisable) and get them changed, a family member passed away and lots of chaos and commotion occurred.

However, I had to keep it together... all of this was going on besides the crazyness at work and the projects I needed to finish there, and I had big plans with the Englishman to attend the opera last night.

As much as I was stressed all day about getting rained on (and the subsequent bad hair that would follow), and being late... once we got to dinner and then BARELY made it to the opera before they closed the doors it was all worth it.


We saw Puccini's Tosca at the War Memorial in SF and it was gorgeous. I am so lucky to have such a vibrant city filled with so many amazing cultural events and opportunities to enjoy the arts. The stage sets were so intricate and the singing, oh the singing. I can't sing to save my life, and usually am jealous of those who can - but last night, oh man, I had such vocal envy last night, I kept wanting to close my eyes and listen, but then I wouldn't have been able to read the subtitles! The story is all about love, jealousy, betrayal and a final battle of conniving wills and double crosses. It was wonderful. And surprisingly funny at times. I wasn't prepared to laugh, ok let's not get ahead of ourselves, chuckle a few times. (And the Englishman was so patient to attend with me. First Act he was too hot, Second Act he seemed to be coping if only mildly bored, and then when he thought the second intermission was time to go... well, that made the Third Act a bit harder to sit through - sorry doll!)


Before the opera we had dinner at Bix's. Bix was the scene of our first date (way!) back in March and it was so fun to sit there again together and enjoy the amazing food, and their gorgeous Christmas decorations. The Englishman only so-so liked his truffle burger and fries (bummer because I have had it before and it was amazing) but I LOVED my lobster spaghetti. LOVED. Unfortunately, I was too busy talking and reminiscing and took so long eating that we didn't have time order dessert! Bananas foster I am coming back for you!

So gorgeous and romantical.
Oh yum. Come here lover.
We then raced through the city, parked and ran as fast as my little crutches and heel (yes, I wore one high heel - it was the opera!) and got their just in time. If you don't make it, they make you sit in the lobby till intermission, and I was SO worried.

I was pretty annoyed at the first intermission when the Englishman was not entirely cooperative about taking a photo, although to be fair, he never is so I should stop being shocked! So, unfortunately I just have this very awful snap (of me)... but when he surprised me at the second intermission with cookies from the bar all was forgiven.

My hair. Oh my hair. And yes I recycled my birthday dress.  But look people, let's let that go. My one heel and boot/crutches combo took the cake. Plus, look at my hunky man. And that gorgeous theater. Swoon.
My day was still long and very sad, frustrating etc. but as the opera closed last night (and boy did that fat lady sing it there at the end) and the Englishman looked so debonair sitting next to me I felt so happy and content inside, who knows, maybe watching the show's dramadey (see how I mixed drama and tragedy there? so witty) made my problems seem a bit less intense?!

No comments :

Post a Comment