Friday, March 15, 2013

Happiest Place on Earth

I have so many "happy places"...
  • hanging with Gwen
  • hanging with the Englishman
  • sitting anywhere reading a dessert menu
  • the shoe department at Neimans/Nordstrom
  • any and every cupcake store
  • reading in a hammock/lounge chair/pool deck on a sunny day
  • at brunch
  • sitting in the shower with the water as hot as possible for as long as possible
  • Lululemon
... you get the picture. If there is food, clothes, shoes, sun or one of my G funk lovers around I am pretty darn smiley. I also secretly (and this is an unchic confession) love Disneyland, the original happiest place on earth. I have been to Disneyland more times than I can count, DisneyWorld a few times, and even EuroDisney. And I love it. All of it. Walt and I are for sure secret soulmates. I mean people, there is a castle, rides, sugary treats, and people in animal costumes... what is NOT to like?

Gwen has been to Disneyland many times and has been tall enough for all of the rides for almost a year now. She loves Disneyland almost as much as I do and is finally old enough for me to make stay at the park from dawn till dusk and do ALL of the things as MANY times as possible. She is well rewarded in stuffed animals and over priced mouse ear head ware for her willingness to stay long past her bedtime.

A couple of weekends ago I decided that I had been super busy lately, and not spent as much time with Gwen as I'd like. Saddest. Also, I heard a very nasty rumor that both shocked and offended my sensibilities. If I said to you that the Englishman had NEVER been to Disneyland (of any form or locale) in his life wouldn't you just die? Like a choking, spluttering, clawing at your face in shock and disbelief kind long drawn Academy Award winning slow, dramatic death? In that case, I won't say that he has never been (no need to die). But just know that the rumor... or the truth (as much as it shocked me and pains me to say) is something that rhymes with "Shmee bas mever feen"!!! So, obviously I did exactly what needed to be done. I immediately booked us a trip for the next weekend. 

I thought I may explode of antsypantsness before the week was up! I was so excited to spend the weekend with my G babes and OF COURSE to be in Disneyland! However, this trip obvi brought up some you know... "things"... the Englishman has met Gwen, multiple times. And aside from his accent, Gwen totes adores him. Who knows why she is the only (other) woman on earth (aside from moi) who isn't totally smitten with his accent? However, the three of us going to dinner, or the occasional movie, or friend's birthday party, Giant's game etc. is far different from two WHOLE days at... well, let's be frank, what can be the whiniest place on earth. Smart Many people do the picking a life partner and then the having of kids, in that order, and while I wouldn't change a single thing about my life ( who am I kidding - what wouldn't I kill for a new nose, and a cupcake delivery man) dating with a kiddo is a bit different. There are all sorts of things to consider, and think over, and ways to be fair and balanced and appropriate and you know a good mom and a good girlfriend and not a hot mess. Obvi these are things I worry about and obsess over but then fail at. Isn't that the story of my life? I sat my little self down though and convinced myself that I had bigger things to worry about (like the best route through the park to maximize and ensure I got all of my favorite snacks while there... HELLO pineapple spears and Mickey shaped brownies!) like having fun, and just enjoying myself and decided that I would just let the weekend progress as it did and not try and micro manage it. And if everyone ended up hating each other I wouldn't notice, what with all the fun I'd be having on the rides I would just dump the Englishman, I mean Gwen is far cuter. KIDDING!! It was a major test of their get alongness togetherness though. Again, KIDDING! Dear Englishman you were our esteemed guest, not in the subject of scrutiny... I promise! The weekend turned out to be a huge success though and everyone returned home happy, exhausted, adoring of each other and FILLED with sugar!

Now, onto the pictures... aka the real reason you read this hurrr blog!

Day One: Flight to LA and Disneyland!


Years ago this was Gwen's first "big girl rollercoaster" and it was the Englishman's first rid at Disneyland!
The look of focus.
I swear I wore a cute dress... it was just so cold I had to wear a Lulu zipup, puffy vest and scarf over it and still be cold! What's up with the sunny sunshine and yet still being cold LA?
Rootin' tootin'est cowboy in the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiild wild west!


Found in the fruit cart/stall outside of Jungle Cruise! The best yummy spicy stuff to put on your fruit. Note: when you are only buying drinks and not fruit, do not put this on a spork and taste a mouthful. It is SPICY. And only good when offset by fruit. Unless you like your mouth to BURN for the whole length of Pirates of the Caribbean...




Ok, let's take a quick break from photos for a hot second and enjoy the above photo. I am not going to act like I have not had this EXACT same meal at Disneyland three times before this occurrence. It is that delish balls. In the Downtown Disney district is a great restaurant called Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. I love it. They have all the amazing foods, seriously, everything there is yummy (or if I haven't tried it yet LOOKS yummy as it floats by to other tables)! This particular dish is filet mignon with a blueberry Merlot demi glaze, grilled asparagus and blackened blue cheese dauphinoise potatoes. Or you can just call it heaven. For realzzzzz. Who even remembers what Gwen and the Englishman ate (was probably delish though), I literally was oblivious as I was too buzy nuzzling my plate (in between bites) and tearing up as each sumptuous mouthful meant less and less left on my plate. We skipped dessert (much to my sorrow - last time I was here - obviously with people who love me more than the Englishman - we ordered the bananas foster, the white and dark chocolate ganache bread pudding and the beignets. WARM BEIGNETS. Kill me now.) to head back to the park and ride some more rides. Anyhoo, moral of this story... EAT THERE when you are in Disneyland. Or be saddest.

We got sucked into Build A Bear on the way from dinner back to the park. Let's be real. This was one point in the weekend where I thought we had scared the Englishman away. Note to single parents on the dating scene. Don't take prospective lovers to BBBW. It is kid crack as we all know, lines are long, and non parentals have no clue what they are getting into.
Day Two: California Adventure and flight home :(



Gwen looks so happy here on this "baby" ride. Not pictured in this blog is her epic freak out and departure from the California Screamin' line or her sheepish return to the line once calmed down. Nor her pretend barfing and tears when the was over. Nor did I get lucky enough to snap the Englishman's face when after ALL of that DRAMA she suggested we go on it again a few hours later because she LOVED it!?!?!?!
My fav picture from the whole trip. Love those two G crazies!
Shop Gwen and I's outfits from this post:

1 comment :